Types of Financial Aid


You may qualify for a Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), N.C. Community College Grant, or the North Carolina Education Lottery Scholarship. The NC Community College Grant and the North Carolina Education Lottery Scholarship are for N.C. Residents. Students may apply by completing the FAFSA. For more information about these grants, visit the Federal Student Aid website. For more information about these programs, contact the Financial Aid Office at (252) 493-7339 or come by the Financial Aid Office in the Goess Student Center Building, Room 100.


The largest source of scholarships at Pitt Community College is institutional merit scholarships. Institutional merit scholarships are generally awarded based on stated criteria such as a high grade point average or high school class ranking. Other institutional scholarships are awarded based on affiliation with a certain group like a sorority or fraternity, interest in a specific subject area like math or science, etc. Need-based scholarships and grants are awarded based on a student’s financial need. Some scholarships are awarded based on both merit and financial need.

Please take a look at the complete list of PCC Scholarships in the PCC Catalog, our Financial Aid scholarship listings web page, and the PCC Foundation’s Scholarships web page for more information.

Private foundations, civic organizations, and others provide additional scholarships. In our experience, most students receive these outside scholarships from organizations within their home community. For this reason, we encourage you to check with your high school, local civic organizations, and religious institutions to see what scholarships are available, or you may search the WEB.

Federal Work Study Employment

Federal Work Study is a federally supported employment program through which students are offered jobs to help meet college expenses. Eligibility is contingent on Financial Need determined by the U.S. Department of Education.

Work Study offers education and job experience. In a more competitive job market, employers seek applicants who have employment and academic experience. Work Study jobs may also provide:

  • Practical training and experience in a chosen field
  • Positive job experience to help students identify career objectives
  • An impressive resume and recommendations from employers

Work Study participants can work with staff members on campus performing a variety of jobs or may work off campus with approved non-profit organizations. Jobs and hours are flexible.

Pay is determined by the position in which the student is hired. Students may work no more than 20 hours per week and must be enrolled at least six credit hours per term. If you drop below six credit hours, you must stop working that day. Students must have an unmet need to qualify for work-study. Timesheets are due on the last day of each month. Paychecks are direct deposited to the student’s bank account on the last day of the next month. Work Study students cannot work when they are scheduled for class. In order to work in the summer, you must be approved for financial aid for the next fall term and be enrolled for at least six credit hours.

Please visit or call the Financial Aid Office to learn whether you are eligible for the Federal Work-Study program. If you qualify, you will be directed to register for a mandatory Federal Work-Study Student Session. Attendance at a Federal Work-Study Student Session is required to participate in PCC’s Work-Study program and to apply for vacant positions. The Work-Study positions available for the 2022-2023 academic year are posted HERE.

Pitt Community College has more students who qualify for Work Study than there is funding. As a result, the college cannot guarantee a job or total earnings awarded.


Pitt Community College participates in the Federal Stafford Direct Loan program, offering subsidized, unsubsidized, and Parent Plus loans. You must request a loan from PCC. The PCC Financial Aid Office will not automatically award a loan to you. You may apply for a Direct Loan AFTER the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) has been completed and your financial aid application has been reviewed and accepted.

Loan disbursements are reported to NSLDS and accessible by authorized agencies, lenders, and institutions per [HEOA 489 amended HEA Sec. 485B]

Note: Students must be enrolled at least six (6) credit hours each semester to receive a Direct Loan and/or Parent PLUS loan.

Click the link below to find out more information about Federal Loans:

How to Apply: Apply for Federal Loans

Links to Information

Back to Top