VISIONS Career Development and Scholarship Program
The VISIONS Career Development and Scholarship Program was created in 2004. Herman Simon, the financial consultant for the Eddie and Jo Allison Smith Family Foundation, wanted to develop a program to assist deserving Pitt County public high school students in need of financial support, educational mentoring, and career guidance. Simon’s concept led to a partnership between the Smith Family Foundation, the PCC Foundation, The Greater Greenville Community Foundation, and Pitt County Schools that resulted in the VISIONS program.
Students selected to participate in VISIONS receive a $1,000-scholarship per year ($500 from The Eddie and Jo Allison Smith Family Foundation and $500 from the PCC Foundation) to attend PCC. Funding is renewable with satisfactory progress toward completion of a program or degree and active participation in the VISIONS program.
Due to the success of the first VISIONS class of 27 students, which graduated in May 2005, funding has been increased over the years to allow more students to participate.
Applying to VISIONS
The program recruits new participants each fall and is now open to members of the Class of 2024. These high school juniors must download and complete an application (Application for PC Users / Application for MAC Users) in order to be considered for VISIONS.
Students interested in joining the VISIONS program can receive additional information from Career Development Coordinators at their respective Pitt County high schools.
- 2.0 – 3.2 grade point average
- Planning to attend Pitt Community College
- No discipline problems
- Demonstrated financial need
- Eligible for in-state tuition
- Pursuing a standard course of study high school diploma
High School Level
- Provide summer career development opportunities to help students choose majors wisely
- Mentor students through junior and senior year activities and classes
- Provide tutors as needed
- Provide assistance with the financial aid application and college admissions processes
- Prepare students for the transition to Pitt Community College
- Provide orientation to college
- Advise students in choosing majors, classes, and activities
- Continue mentoring students
- Monitor performance and provide tutors and counseling as needed
- Assist with resume preparation and job applications
Each summer, VISIONS students representing all six Pitt County high schools visit the PCC campus to learn more about career and educational opportunities available to them in their own backyards.
The VISIONS Summer Institute, as it is called, provides new students in the program with valuable information to guide them through the final year of high school and into higher education. The goal is to give students insight on the college experience to help them fine-tune their academic plans and be prepared for higher education.
During their campus visit, students explore educational options, participate in hands-on instruction, and interact with instructors from each of the college’s five academic divisions. They also visit Greenville’s Grady-White Boats, which is owned by VISIONS benefactor Eddie Smith.
The institute also features assessments that help students identify their personal strengths and choose career pathways that best suit them. VISIONS staff are determined to help students build confidence and discover what they are passionate about in order to enjoy fulfilling lives.
What Makes the Difference?
- Network of caring VISIONS staff, assisted by PCC Institutional Advancement staff who find answers, assistance and provide a “safety net”
- Commitment to student success
- Financial support for a college education
For More Information
Contact a Pitt County High School Career Development Coordinator
Ayden-Grifton – Constance Whitehurst – (252) 746-4183
D.H. Conley – Natalie Evans – (252) 756-3440
Farmville Central – Carla Jones – (252) 753-5138
J.H. Rose – Cindy Bell – (252) 321-3640
North Pitt – Kim Johnson– (252) 825-0054
South Central – Emily Duke – (252) 321-3232
Contact a PCC VISIONS Staff Member
Office: (252) 493-7831 or (252) 493-7719
Cell: (252) 714-9744
VISIONS Administrative Assistant
Office: (252) 493-7719
VISIONS College Coordinator
VISIONS High School Coordinator
Office: (252) 493-7239
Cell: (252) 375-7517
VISIONS High School Coordinator
Office: (252) 493-7501
Cell: (252) 493-1358