Telecommunicator Certification Course
Pitt Community College offers a 50-hour Telecommunicator Certification Course that will provide students with the entry level knowledge and skills to practice as an emergency services telecommunicator. At the conclusion of the course, an authorized representative of the Sheriffs’ Commission will administer a comprehensive examination to each trainee who has participated in all of the course requirements. A trainee successfully completes the written examination if he/she achieves a minimum of seventy percent (70%) correct answers.
Applicants must provide proof of the following for entry into the program
- United States citizen
- At least 21 years of age
- High school graduate, or the equivalent (GED)
- Medical examination by a licensed physician
- Certified criminal history from each county that applicant has resided (convictions do not automatically disqualify applicants)
- Define the role and explain the characteristics of the professional telecommunicator; stress and the telecommunicator; and the telecommunicator’s code of ethics.
- Identify and demonstrate the general operation of the major equipment components of a modern telecommunications service center.
- List and identify the major information resources available to assist in the practice of telecommunications.
- Differentiate between the organization, general operational practices, terminology and common service requests associated with law enforcement, fire and emergency medical services, and the North Carolina Division of Emergency Management.
- Identify, explain and demonstrate common call reception, prioritization and resource allocation practices associated with everyday telecommunications.
- Identify and explain the aspects of civil liability for the professional telecommunicator.
- Identify, explain and demonstrate basic radio broadcast techniques associated with emergency telecommunications.
- Demonstrate basic telecommunications training skills in a structured telecommunications training practicum.
- Attendance is required at all class sessions
- All practical exercises must be satisfactorily completed
- The student must score a minimum of 70% on the final Commission-administered written exam
- Available at the PCC Law Enforcement Training Facility (2096 Central Park Dr. Winterville, NC)
For more information
Law Enforcement/Detention Coordinator