Pitt Community College is committed to providing its employees and students with a safe and healthy working and learning environment.
Pitt Community College recognizes that the use of tobacco products on campus ground is detrimental to the health and safety of students, staff, faculty, and visitors.
Pitt Community College also recognized that it has the legal authority to prohibit tobacco use pursuant to G.S 115D-20.1 and G.S. 143-599.
Therefore, beginning August 14, 2018 Pitt Community College will implement the following policy:
1. Smoking is prohibited by students, staff, faculty, or visitors:
a. In all campus buildings, facilities or property owned, leased, or operated by Pitt Community College, including these areas:
i. On-campus grounds, facilities or vehicles that are property of the community college.
ii. At lectures, conferences, meetings, and social/cultural events held on college property or campus grounds.
2. For the purpose of this policy, smoking products includes cigarettes, cigars, little cigars, cheroots, stogies, e-cigarettes, and hookah.
3. The sale or free distribution of tobacco products, including merchandise, is prohibited on campus or at school events.
4. Student organizations are prohibited from accepting money or gifts from tobacco companies, including:
a. Parties sponsored by tobacco companies or allowing tobacco companies to distribute free, reduced-priced, or fully-priced tobacco products (-t-shirts, hats, etc.) on campus.
5. Other smokeless tobacco products, including, but not limited to, plug and twist tobacco, dip, snuff, snuff flour, chewing tobacco, are prohibited inside all college facilities and college vehicles.