Information to have with you when filling out an application:
- An address and phone number where you can be contacted.
- Names, addresses, telephone numbers, and dates of previous employers.
- Names and dates of schools you attended.
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three references.
- Driver’s license and copies or certificate numbers of any professional licenses or certifications you hold.
Note: Having a copy of your resume will provide you with the first four items.
Other Considerations when completing an application:
- Be prepared to answer questions about any questions you leave blank.
- If you have served in the military and have other than an “honorable” discharge, it would be preferable to leave any questions about it blank and answer the questions in the interview.
- Include “self-employed,” part-time, volunteer, or summer jobs, particularly if you have had little or no significant employment history.
- Be sure to include those jobs that are similar to the kind of work for which you are now applying.
- You may state the “minimum salary,” if you know what this type of job pays, or you may answer it with “open” or “negotiable.”
- The following are some acceptable answers for “Why did you leave your last job?” –
“Moved”, “Relocated”, “Seasonal”, “Career Advancement”
Avoid saying “fired” if applicable. Leave it blank and explain.
- Choice of references can be critical.
- Contact the individuals and ask if you can use them as references.
- If possible, find out what your references would say about you when asked.