Veterans Affairs

This site was designed as a resource for veterans and their dependents/spouses using the GI Bill® at Pitt Community College.

Contact Sonji Rowsom, Veterans Affairs Coordinator, at srowsom489@my.pittcc.edu, (252) 493-7323, with any questions you may have.

First time veteran applicants will need to complete the VA form 22-1990 to apply for one of the benefits listed below.

  • Ch. 30 – Active Duty/Former Active Duty
  • Ch. 33 Post 09/11 GI Bill®
  • Ch. 1606 – Selected Reserve
  • Ch. 1607 – Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP)

Applications can be completed online by going through eBenefits at www.ebenefits.va.gov OR by completing the VONAPP at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill. You will need to upload or submit a copy of your DD-214 (member-4 copy) if you have been on active duty, OR Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE), if you are using Chapter 1606/Selected Reserve benefits. If you have used these benefits at another school, you will need to complete VA form 22-1995. You can complete this form by going to www.gibill.va.gov OR through eBenefits at www.ebenefits.va.gov.

Dependents applying for Chapter 33 (Post 9/11), Transfer of Entitlement for the first time AND who have been approved by the Department of Defense (DOD) to use the benefits, will need to complete the VA Form 22-1990e by going to www.gibill.va.gov, and completing the VONAPP. If your benefits have not been approved for transfer by the DOD, the parent transferring the benefits will need to go www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/post911_transfer.asp for more information on the requirements and how to start the process.

Dependents/Spouses applying for Chapter 35-Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (DEA), OR Chapter 33-Fry Scholarship will need to complete VA Form 22-5490 at www.gibill.va.gov. Dependents will need to upload a copy of their birth certificate, and spouses will need to upload a copy of their marriage license to accompany the application. If you have used these benefits at another school, you will need to complete VA Form 22-5495. You can complete this form at www.gibill.va.gov

Please keep a copy of your electronic application for benefits and any documentation uploaded to the VA for your records. Your school’s VA Office will need a copy of your application and supporting documentation, OR your Certificate of Eligibility (benefits approval letter from the VA).

If you would like more information on each benefit, visit www.gibill.va.gov, or contact our VA Office  at 252-493-7323, or 252-493-7332.

Prior to being certified for benefits, you MUST submit ALL official transcripts from your high school/GED equivalency, and from any college/university that you have attended to the Office of the Registrar; even if you did not receive VA benefits at those schools. Official transcripts can be mailed to: Pitt Community College, Attn.: Office of the Registrar, PO Drawer 7007, Greenville, NC 27835. Or faxed to 252-321-4209. Faxed transcripts must be faxed directly from the originating institution to be considered official. To check to see if your transcript has been received, you may contact the Registrar’s Office at 252-493-7232.

Students are encouraged to apply for financial aid. You can do so by going to www.studentaid.gov/apply-for-aid/fafsa. More information about the financial aid process at PCC.

All students are required to take the placement test OR be granted a waiver prior to registering for classes. For additional information on placement testing.

All new students are required to attend an Orientation Session prior to registering for classes at PCC. For more information on Orientation.

Make sure that all official transcripts from all institutions have been received by the Registrar’s Office. VA will only pay for classes required to complete your degree. If you are required to take any remedial coursework (classes beginning with a ‘0’, ex., DMA 050, BIO 094, DRE, etc.), the classes must be traditional (not Internet (IN), or Hybrid (HY). If you have completed the same classes or the equivalent class successfully at a prior institution, you cannot be certified for that class again.

Registering for Classes. Make sure that you have financial aid or payment made by the payment deadline date. For Post 9/11-Chapter 33 recipients and VA Vocational Rehabilitation Students receiving the Post 9/11 or Chapter 33 BAH allowance: In order to receive your full housing allowance, you must have at least one seated class for the entire term. Non-seated classes include Internet (ending with IN), and Hybrid (ending with HY).

Chapter 33 Students Only. Tuition and fee payments are paid to the school by the VA at the in-state rate depending on the veteran’s eligibility level. Out-of-state students eligible for Chapter 33 benefits will need to pay the difference between the in-state and out-of-state rate. Effective July 1, 2015 the state of North Carolina passed legislation (Section 702), allowing a 12-month residency waiver for Veterans and dependents of veterans who have been discharged (under conditions other than dishonorable), between July , 2012 and July 30, 2015, using VA Educational Benefits living in North Carolina, and plan to make North Carolina their domicile.

PCC is a “Yellow Ribbon School”. If you are using Post 9/11, and do not meet the criteria for the 12-month waiver, please contact Veterans Services to see if there are Yellow Ribbon funds available and to see if you meet the criteria for Yellow Ribbon Funds. Veterans Services can be reached at 252-493-7323, 252-493-7332, or 252-493-7581.

Individuals who are attending PCC may be eligible for an advance payment of their GI Bill® to cover tuition, fees, and supply expenses for their first semester only. The deadline for submitting an advance payment is 45 days prior to the start of classes. All VA paperwork and official transcripts must be received prior to this deadline in order for the advanced payment to be submitted. For more information, please contact the VACO. Advance payment requests cannot be processed for students using Chapter 33 benefits.

VA Educational Benefits are used for classes needed to complete your degree. Your educational benefits are also based on your attendance in classes. Ex., you are registered for 12 credit hours for Fall 2017, and all are required to complete your degree. Nine (9) credit hours are classes that run from 08/17/2017-12/15/2017, and 3 credit hours run from 10/01/2017-12/14/2017. You will be paid 3/4 time rate until your class starts 10/01/2017. Once you start that class (10/01/2017), this will bring your attendance to 12 credit hours or full-time. (Assuming that you are still attending your other classes.)

This should happen after school begins and your VA Certifying Official (VACO) has certified your enrollment. If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within 2 weeks after school has began, please contact the PCC VA Office. It can take anywhere from 60-90 days for VA to process your claim and to receive your first payment.

Prior to receiving your funds, you MUST verify your enrollment at the end of each month by using one of the following methods:

  • Interactive Voice Response (IVP) system at 1-888-442-4551. Call between 8 AM-6 PM, Monday – Friday. Your VA file number is the same as your Social Security Number, OR
  • Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) website at: ebenefits.va.gov

IMPORTANT!! Students MUST maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in order to continue to receive VA benefits. More information on the requirements. It is your responsibility to notify us of any changes in your schedule, dropping class/adding a class, withdrawing from a class, etc.

If you withdraw from a class, or fail to report changes when verifying your enrollment, you may owe back money to VA. Contact the VACO before making changes to your schedule to double-check or if you have any questions.

Contact Us

Sonji Rowsom, Veterans Affairs Coordinator
Office: Smith Center (EJS), Room 210B
Phone: (252) 493-7323
Email: srowsom489@my.pittcc.edu

Jason Monska, Veterans Service Specialist
Office: Smith Center (EJS), Room 210A
Phone: (252) 493-7332
Email: jgmonska447@my.pittcc.edu


PCC Links

PCC Academic Calendar
PCC Registration Information
PCC Student Veterans Association
PCC Tuition and Fees

VA Links

Addiction Resource
Current Education Benefit Payment Rates
Department of Veterans Affairs** – gibill.va.gov OR va.gov
** Includes information and updates on the New GI Bill® can be found here.**
Department of Veterans Affairs, Vocational Rehabilitation
Military Transcript
Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE)

Disclaimer: Some links on this page leave the PCC website. These links are not be considered as being endorsed by Pitt Community College.