INSTRUCTIONS for completing financial documentation to qualify for an I-20:
Refer to this page when completing the Affidavit of Financial Support and when obtaining supporting evidence of financial support from your bank. Similar documentation will be required by the U.S. Consulate or Embassy with your application for a nonimmigrant visa.
- A notarized Affidavit of Financial Support – completed by your parent or sponsor.
*The signature of your sponsor must be notarized or certified by a public official.
If you plan to support yourself (no sponsor), an Affidavit of Financial Support Form is not required. You must, however, submit a letter from your bank (instructions below) and the bank account must be in your name.
- An original letter from your sponsor’s bank or financial institution, issued within three months, giving the following information:
- Date the letter was issued.
- Date account was opened.
- Current account balance (showing a minimum of $26,145 on deposit)
- A current exchange rate or U.S. dollar equivalent.
- This letter must be on bank stationary and signed by a bank official. A photocopy or original copy of your sponsor’s monthly bank statement DOES NOT QUALIFY!
- Sample bank letter (See a sample letter here)
If you have a family memberor friend who lives in the area and plans to provide you with housing free of charge, that person must submit an Affidavit of Financial Support Form and write a letter stating they intend to provide room and board free of charge for the duration of studies. This letter must be notarized. In such a case, the estimated living expenses of $9,600.00 per year does not have to be documented. The blank Affidavit of Support form may be duplicated for this purpose (or if you have multiple sponsors).
IF YOUR FINANCIAL DOCUMENTATION IS INSUFFICIENT,
YOU WILL NOT BE ISSUED AN I-20.