International Student Admissions Requirements

Students Seeking F-1 Visa

F-1 Students Seeking To Transfer To PCC

Students with Other Visa Types

Students Seeking A Change Of Status

Students Seeking F-1 Visa

1. NC Residency Determination: https://ncresidency.cfnc.org/residencyInfo/home Prospective students will need to complete the NC Residency Determination Forms first. An international student present in the United States on a student visa is considered a non-resident for the purpose of tuition payments. Length of stay, payment of taxes, or ownership of property does not qualify an international student for the status of legal resident. (In RDS Online Interview, when asked “Do you claim to be a NC Resident?” – Answer “NO”. RDS will assign an RCN (Residency Certification Number) that can be used to complete college admission application.)

2. Admissions Application: Next, prospective students must complete a PCC admissions application. Please go here to apply online: https://pittcc.edu/admissions/apply-now/

3. English Proficiency: To demonstrate proficiency in the English language, the applicant must take the either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IETLS) exam.

The TOEFL is published and administered in most countries by the Educational Testing Service, www.toeflgoanywhere.org.

Minimum TOEFL Score Requirements

Internet Based Test (IBT)

Reading Section 17 (Intermediate)
Listening Section 17 (Intermediate)
Speaking Section 16 (Intermediate)
Writing Section 16 (Intermediate)

Computer Based Test (CBT) – Minimum Score of 173
Written Test– Minimum Score of 500

Students may demonstrate competency as well by submitting scores from IELTS (International English Language Testing System). Our institution requires an overall band score of a 5.5 or higher on the IELTS. Please contact the test center directly where you took the IELTS test and request that your official test scores be sent to the address below. We do not accept unofficial Test Report Forms from students. An institutional code is NOT required.

Submit to:

PCC Global
Pitt Community College
PO Drawer 7007
Greenville, NC 27835   USA

An international student whose country has English as the only official language is exempt from the TOEFL or IELTS exam.

4. Transcripts: Students must submit an official copy of High School/College transcripts accompanied by a certified English translation if the original document is not in English. Official transcripts are sent directly from the school or Educational Board where the student attended to Pitt Community College.

5. Affidavit of Financial Support: Must provide an official bank statement, notarized letter of support, or sponsors bank statement showing that at least $26,154 (US dollars) is available for your tuition, fees, and living expenses for one academic year.

6. Medical Insurance: Must provide documentation of medical insurance by the end of the first two weeks of class.

7. SEVIS I-20 Request Form: Must complete the SEVIS I-20 Request form completely. This form gives us the information needed to complete the I-20.  This form will be provided to the prospective student after they complete their admissions application.

8. FERPA Release Form: If the student has a family member they prefer to speak on their behalf, the student must submit a complete a FERPA release form. This form grants permission for the Office of PCC Global to release student educational records and/or information with someone other than the student.

9. Copies of Passport and Visa: When the student applies, a copy of the valid visa will be accepted with the application; however, once the student arrives in the United States, he/she must present the passport and the visa to the Office of PCC Global to be scanned into the student record.

F-1 Students Seeking To Transfer To PCC

Students who seek to transfer into PCC should submit the same application package as new F-1 students. Please see the above steps. Once you have been accepted, the Office of PCC Global will send you the admission letter and a SEVIS I-20 Transfer Request form for you to provide to the DSO at your current institution. Once the signed SEVIS I-20 Transfer Request form is completed and returned to PCC, the Office of PCC Global can issue the initial I-20.

Students with Other Visa Types

The following visa/non-visa holders are classified as international students at Pitt Community College:

  1. Permanent resident with alien registration (Green card)
  2. Refugees/Asylum
  3. TN, H-1B, TC, and TD visa (Canadian visa), and all other visa statuses that permit enrollment in school
  4. All other international applicants who do not hold a visa

Requirements for Non F1 Visa Holders:

PCC Admissions must receive the following documents before your application will be considered:

  1. Pitt Community College Admissions Application: Must complete a PCC admissions application – go to the  online Residency Determination Application and PCC Application.
  2. Identification: Students must present a valid passport and/ or legal identification to the Office of PCC Global.
  3. Immigration Documentation: A copy of your permanent resident card, I-94 record, valid visa, or notice from US Citizenship and Immigration Services indicating your status if applicable.
  4. English Proficiency: To demonstrate proficiency in the English language, the applicant must have graduated from a U.S. high school, receive a P2 on the English portion of the RISE Placement Test, or take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IETLS) exam.

NOTE: The following residents are part of the compact of free association and are not required to carry a visa: Federated States of Micronesia: Kosrae, Ponape, Chuuk, Yap, Caroline Islands, Marshall Islands, and Palau.

Students Seeking A Change Of Status

Non-immigrants with a valid visa (F-2, J-1, J-2, H-4, B1, or B2) and currently in the United States may apply for a change of status to F-1 to take classes as a full-time student. Applicants must go through the same process as a new F-1 student in addition to processing the change of status request with USCIS. Click the links below for more information on how to begin the change of status process.

Change from B-1 or B-2 visa to F visa

Change from F-2, J-1, or J-2 visa to F visa