HST – Gerontology Clinical Experience
The opportunity to work in a human services agency is an invaluable experience providing the means to put into action the knowledge, skills, and attitudes acquired in curriculum courses while exploring future job opportunities. The student will be placed in a human service facility for 9-12 hours for 16 weeks under the direction of an agency supervisor and qualified faculty member. The student will have two required clinical placements and attend seminar/supervision classes to integrate classroom work with the field placement
Before a student is placed in a clinical experience he/she must meet the following requirements:
1. Successful completion of 12 semester hours in the HSE program.
2. Maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.00 cumulative total GPA for Human Services.
3. Copy of health care in student’s file (TB test and Hepatitis B waiver or Heptovac series).
4. Understands and demonstrates the ability to follow the Ethical Standards of Human Services Professionals.
5. Meet minimum competency criteria for Human Service workers as outlined in the Human Services Student Handbook.
6. Obtains permission from instructor
The List of Possible Clinical Experience Agencies for the Human Services Program are as follows:
- Boys and Girls Club
- Carolina Pregnancy Center
- Caswell Center
- Council on Aging
- Creative Living Center
- East Carolina Vocational Center
- Greenville Community Center
- Little Willie Center
- Mediation Center of Eastern NC
- Mental Health Association
- Operation Sunshine
- PICASO – AIDS Service Org.
- Pitt Community College
- Pitt County Mental Health
- Real Crisis Intervention
- United Cerebral Palsy Center
- Walter B. Jones Substance Abuse Treatment Center
These are just a few of the places where student can get clinical experience within the area.