Arts and Sciences Division
The Arts and Sciences Division embraces six departments with 80 full-time faculty and over 90 part-time faculty.
Start Your College Career
The Arts and Sciences Division at Pitt Community College is our largest division, covering virtually all our general education courses as well as:
- University Transfer Programs, including Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, and Associate in Engineering
- Biotechnology Associate Degree
Our 80 full-time and 90 part-time faculty, across six departments, are all about empowering you to succeed. Arts and Sciences faculty have:
- Been nominated for excellence in teaching awards
- Participated in local, regional, and state leadership training
- Written textbooks
- Developed multimedia tools for commercial use
- Supervised statewide curriculum improvement projects
Whether you are studying social sciences or foreign languages, earning a science degree or biotechnology degree, our faculty will prepare you with career-ready skills.
Arts and Sciences Division Mission Statement
We prepare students to succeed in life, in higher education, in the workforce, and in a global economy through meaningful, hands-on learning experiences. We achieve this mission by:
- Encouraging lifelong learning
- Establishing positive learning environments
- Ensuring academic excellence
- Enhancing economic development and quality of life
- Emphasizing multicultural experiences
Whether you leave Pitt Community College and go directly to the workforce or continue your education at a four-year college or university, you will have the skills you need to flourish.
Why Choose Pitt Community College?
The Arts and Sciences Division provides a high-quality, affordable two-year college education featuring small classes and individualized attention. Earning an Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, or Associate in Engineering at Pitt Community College helps you realize your college goals without the burden of college debt. We prepare you to transfer to a four-year institution or for a lucrative career.
Prepare for the global economy
We also provide you with a global education. Our students can become “Scholars of Global Distinction” by taking courses with an international focus, or they can compete for and receive study abroad scholarships. Students interested in studying foreign languages should be especially excited about this opportunity.
We know you are balancing several responsibilities, which is why we offer programs around your schedule. You can study full- or part-time, on campus, online, or hybrid.
Technologically advanced classrooms
In addition to affordability and convenience, we also invest in our campus and our students. We recently completed the Walter and Marie Williams Science Building. This 78,000 square foot building serves as the home of Pitt’s Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) programming. The facility features 10 classrooms, a biotechnology center, a STEM learning center, a science tutorial center, and 11 high-tech laboratories.
Finally, our staff and faculty are here to help. Classes are small, about 19:1 in general education courses, and we offer a Student Success Center and Career Center. Both are walk-in resources for students who need personalized career and academic advising.
Career Opportunities for Program Graduates
We have designed our programs to provide a smooth transition between Pitt Community College and four-year institutions. The North Carolina Community College System’s Comprehensive Articulation Agreement:
- Assures student graduates with a 2.0 GPA admission to one of the University of North Carolina’s 16 institutions
- Enables North Carolina community college graduates of two-year Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degree programs who are admitted to UNC constituent institutions to transfer with junior status.
We do not only train you to go on to a four-year college or university, though. We will also get you career-ready. For example, graduates of our Biotechnology degree program earn on average $45,000 annually as a starting salary.