***For general information as PCC operates remotely, please call our hotline at (252) 493-7245, M-Th, between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., and Friday, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Students seeking specific course information are advised to contact their instructors.***01

State Authorization

Pitt Community College has been approved by the State of North Carolina to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary education. State Authorization is a legal requirement for colleges to secure authorization to offer instruction to students in other states. Compliance is part of the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008.


Admission of out-of-state applicants to an online program or individual course offered by Pitt CC is dependent on the College’s ability to secure authorization from the applicant’s state of residence.


Currently Authorized States*

Programs at PCC that prepare students for professional licensure(s)/certification(s) are designed to prepare a student to apply for applicable licensure/certification in North Carolina. In order to ensure whether the program meets requirements for professional licensure(s)/certification(s) outside North Carolina, PCC recommends the student contact the program Director/Dean prior to enrolling in the program.

Disclosures that previously only applied to distance education students are now replaced with a requirement that applies to all programs that lead to licensure or certification (or should lead to licensure or certification), regardless of the delivery modality of those programs. Notably removed from the 2016 rule (and not moved elsewhere in the 2019 rule) is the requirement for institutions to publicly disclose the educational prerequisites for professional licensure or certification for the occupation for which the program prepares students to enter for each state in which the program’s enrolled students reside (formerly 668.50(b)(7)).

*Registration of students from other states in online courses may require additional fees and/or time.

If Pitt CC has not been authorized by the applicant’s state of residence to offer online, distance, and correspondence education, the applicant is not eligible for enrollment in an online program or individual course at the College. The College may periodically update the list due to changes in authorization status. For questions, please contact the College’s State Authorization Compliance Officer at 252-493-7224. The College reserves the right to refuse enrollment to any student wishing to enroll in courses if the student resides in a state where Pitt Community College is not authorized to offer distance education.

Online Programs Contact Information

Pitt Community College offers several online opportunities for students. View the current listing of programs here: Online Offerings. For contact information for each online program, click here: PittCC Online Programs Contact Information

State Authorization Student Complaint Procedure

PCC Student Complaints Procedure

Pitt Community College desires to resolve student grievances, complaints and concerns in an expeditious, fair and amicable manner. Students residing outside North Carolina while attending Pitt Community College who desire to resolve a grievance should follow the College’s Student Complaint Policy (opens in a new browser window). Students who wish to file a complaint must complete the Student Complaint Report Form.

If you have any questions about the complaint process, please do not hesitate to contact:

Jasmin L. Spain
Assistant Vice President of Student Development & Community Standards
Email: jlspain@email.pittcc.edu
Phone: 252-493-7769
Mailing Address: Attn: Jasmin Spain; Pitt Community College; PO Drawer 7007; Greenville, NC 27835-7007

If a complaint cannot be resolved via the Pitt Community College’s grievance procedures, students may file a complaint with any of the following accreditors or Portal Entities:

The North Carolina Community College System (NCCCS):

Please review the NC Post-Secondary Education Student Complaint Process (PDF), print and complete the NC Post-Secondary Education Complaint Form (PDF) and submit the complaint to:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina System Office
910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688

Phone:  (919) 962-4550
Email:  studentcomplaint@northcarolina.edu.
Website: North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints

If an issue cannot be resolved internally, the student may file a complaint with his/her state.

In compliance with the new regulations, an institution offering distance education must provide enrolled and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accrediting agency and with the appropriate state agency for handling complaints in the student’s state. While PCC strives to provide the highest quality education opportunities available, conflicts may arise. It is our aim to resolve any grievances, complaints, and concerns in an expeditious, fair, and amicable manner. If an issue cannot be solved by PCC’s internal processes, you may choose to file a complaint with your state of residence. Contact Information for Individual States

SARA-NC Complaint Process

Students may also file a complaint through SARA-NC. SARA-NC is the portal for North Carolina. Students should follow the SARA-NC Complaint Process and use the SARA-NC Complaint Form (PDF).

Contact Information:
SARA North Carolina
North Caroline State Education Assistance Authority
P.O. Box 14103
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709

T: (855) SARA-1-NC (727-2162)
T: (919) 549-8614, ext. 4667

Email: information@saranc.org

For more information on the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement-North Carolina, visit SARA North Carolina’s site (www.saranc.org), complaint process, and complaint form.

SACSCOC Student Complaint Process

Students who have exhausted institutional grievance processes and are still dissatisfied with the outcome may file a complaint with Pitt Community College’s accrediting agency. PCC is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate degrees, diplomas, and certificates. Students who file a complaint with the accrediting agency should follow the SACSCOC Complaint Procedure and SACSCOC Complaint Form.

Contact Information:
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097

Telephone: (404) 679-4500
Website: The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges

Inquiries to SACSCOC should relate only to the accreditation status of the institution and not to general admission requirements, financial aid, educational programs or issues involving application of academic regulations.

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) expects individuals to attempt to resolve complaints against the College through all means available to the student, including following the College’s own procedures, before submitting a complaint to the Commission. Therefore, the Commission’s usual practice is not to consider a complaint that is currently in administrative proceedings, including institutional proceedings, or in litigation.

However, if there is substantial, credible evidence that indicates systemic problems with an accredited institution, the Commission may, at its discretion, choose to proceed with the review.

The Commission will neither entertain complaints that are not in writing or which are anonymous, nor will it consider complaints sent electronically or through facsimile transmission. In addition, the Commission will not act on complaints submitted on behalf of another individual or complaints forwarded to the Commission.

Professional Licensing Board Disclaimer and Contacts (License/Licensure/Certification Information)

Programs at PCC that prepare students for professional licensure/certification are designed to prepare a student to apply for applicable licensure/certification in North Carolina. In order to ensure whether a particular program meets requirements for professional licensure/certification outside North Carolina, PCC recommends the student contact the degree program within the institution prior to enrolling into the course or degree program.

Pitt CC Professional License/Licensure Contact Information

Directory of States (Contacts)

State Portal Entity Contacts: