PCC Students Honored for Excellence
Wilson Art on Display in 'Barbershop III'
|“Barbershop III: The Next Cut” hits theaters April 15, and those planning to see the film will want to be on the lookout for graduate Richard Wilson’s artwork.|
PCC Celebrates Women's History Month
April 2016 Edition Quick Hitters ...
• Each month, President G. Dennis Massey provides a "College Update" with the latest PCC highlights.
• Operating on the theory that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, the PCC Health Sciences Division has organized a community health fair to promote better living through valuable health information. (Health Fair Announcement)
• PCC's TRiO Educational Opportunity Center held a luncheon on campus March 14 to show appreciation to community partners. (TRiO Appreciation Luncheon)
• Paralegal Technology student Mary Gardner was selected as the college's recipient of the N.C. Community College System Academic Excellence Award. (Mary Gardner Academic Excellence Award)
• A panel of military veterans shared their experiences as PCC students last month as part of a professional development workshop for faculty and staff titled, “From Boots to Books.” (From Boots to Books)
• PCC Career Services organized a career fair for students on March 31 in the Craig F. Goess Student Center multipurpose room. (PHOTO GALLERY)
• The 2016 edition of PCC's "Career Focus" magazine is now available online.
• The college is making fall enrollment a cinch for select Pitt County high school seniors through a special admissions event this month. (Priority Admissions Day)
• PCC will celebrate the many cultures of its English as a Second Language (ESL) students with a special “ESL International Day” program on April 19. (English as a Second Language International Day)
• For the second year in a row, PCC’s Real Estate program has been awarded for outstanding student performance on the N.C. Real Estate License Examination. (Real Estate Program Awarded)
• The college's Financial Aid Office is holding “FAFSA Mondays” to answer questions about financial aid and assist students with filing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). (FAFSA Mondays Assists Students Filing Applications)
• PCC's Beta Nu Upsilon chapter of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society will hold its annual spring yard sale fundraiser April 23 on the college’s main campus. (Beta Nu Upsilon's Annual Spring Yard Sale)
• PCC Dean of Health Sciences Donna Neal announced this month that applications for the college’s health sciences programs will be accepted through April 30. (Health Sciences Acceping Applications Through April 30th)
• The PCC Alumni Association is seeking nominees for several awards the organization will present to outstanding graduates this spring as part of a special event on campus. (Alumni Association Award Nominations)
• PCC Chief Financial Officer Ricky Brown was recently selected to serve a one-year term as president of the N.C. Association of Community College Business Office Professionals. (CFO Ricky Brown Serves One-Year ACCBO Presidency)
• PCC President G. Dennis Massey joined Gov. Pat McCrory at the East Carolina Heart Institute last month to stress the importance of bond funding to make improvements to North Carolina’s infrastructure, educational systems, safety and state parks. (Connect NC Bond Meeting)
• The college launched a new Instagram account this fall. You can sign up to follow it https://instagram.com/pittcc/.
• The PCC Alumni Association is providing an avenue for people in the community to honor friends and family members by purchasing a custom brick in the patio and gardens that surround the college’s new clock tower. (MORE INFORMATION AVAILABLE)
• We are proud of our current students and graduates and love sharing their stories of success. If you are a PCC student or alum and have a success story you would like to share, please email Rob Goldberg, PCC communications director, so we can be sure to include you on our "Creating Success" web page.
Upcoming Events ...
• April 4 - FAFSA Monday
• April 4-29 - Spring Plant Sale
• April 6 - Spring Fling
• April 18 - FAFSA Monday
• April 19 - ESL International Day
• April 20 - Community Health Fair
• April 23 - PTK Spring Yard Sale Fundraiser
• April 25 - Priority Admissions Day
• April 25 - FAFSA Monday
• April 29 - Alumni Awards Nomination Deadline
• April 30 - Health Sciences Application Deadline
• Be sure to watch "PCC Outreach with Ernis Lee" Mondays at 8:30 p.m. on Cable Channel 23.
PCC Wins Seven in a Row Before SMC Loss
WINTERVILLE--The Pitt Community College baseball team reeled off seven straight wins before dropping the final two games of a four-game series at Spartanburg Methodist College (SMC) over the weekend.
The Bulldogs started their winning streak March 20 with a 4-3 victory over visiting Florence-Darlington Technical College. From there, it was a four-game sweep of Louisburg College March 25-26 at Minges-Overton Baseball Complex before taking the first two games of the SMC series on Saturday, 11-1 and 7-4.
Softball Team Gets Off to a Slow Start in April
WINTERVILLE—After a 9-1 February and a 12-3 March, the Pitt Community College softball team has started off April on the wrong foot.
The Bulldogs, 21-4 entering this month, were swept over the weekend by visiting Spartanburg Methodist College to fall to 21-8 on the season. Inconsistent pitching and poor offense doomed PCC against the Pioneers, who took game one by a 4-1 count before winning 11-1, 10-1 and 9-1.
But there's still plenty of season left for the Bulldogs, who will play six of their remaining 12 regular-season games at home. Pitt's first chance to right the ship will take place tomorrow at Louisburg College.
PCC will be looking to lean on the bat of freshman Peyton Taylor, who is hitting a scorching .508 (31-for-61) this season with seven home runs, nine doubles and 33 runs batted in.
Upcoming PCC Athletic Events ...
• April 9-10 - Baseball vs. USC-Sumter
• April 9-10 - Softball vs. USC-Salkehatchie
• April 13 - Baseball vs. Lenoir Community College
• April 13 - Softball vs. Louisburg College
• April 23-24 - Baseball vs. USC-Salkehatchie