Tony Cannon Is 2016 Graduation Speaker
Students Say Global Learning Important
|The first Scholars of Global Distinction students discussed their opportunities to learn through overseas travel and stressed the importance of global learning.
STAR Awards Recognize Student Clubs
May 2016 Edition Quick Hitters ...
• Each month, President G. Dennis Massey provides a "College Update" with the latest PCC highlights.
• PCC celebrated employee achievements last month with the 33rd Annual Employee Appreciation and Recognition Evening at the Hilton Greenville. (READ STORY)
• A longstanding social club recently honored former PCC Trustee Raymond Reddrick Jr. for his community involvement, educational contributions and leadership. (READ STORY)
• The PCC Health Sciences Division organized a community health fair April 20 to promote better living through valuable health information. (PHOTO GALLERY)
• PCC Foundation officials reported that this year's “Accelerating the Future” fundraiser eclipsed the 2015 event in terms of money generated for student scholarships and educational activities at the college. (READ STORY)
• The college held a special admissions program for a select group of Pitt County high school students in April to help them register for fall classes and transition to higher education successfully. (READ STORY)
• President G. Dennis Massey and Science Instructor Joy Moses-Hall were honored by Phi Theta Kappa during the honor society’s annual convention in National Harbor, Md. (READ STORY)
• PCC will hold walk-in registration May 19 to give students another opportunity to sign up for summer classes before the semester officially begins the following day. (READ STORY)
• PCC Fire Academy students practiced putting out the flames during LP (Liquid Petroleum) Gas Emergency class at the City of Greenville Emergency Operations Center on April 13. (PHOTO GALLERY)
• The Continuing Education Division will welcome members of the public to Mitchell’s Hair Styling Academy May 17 for a Cosmetology Open House. (READ STORY)
• PCC celebrated the many cultures of its English as a Second Language (ESL) students with a special “ESL International Day” program on April 19. (PHOTO GALLERY)
• WNCT 9 On Your Side and PCC invited fans of the hit CBS reality show "Survivor" to an open casting call at the college April 27. (PHOTO GALLERY)
• PCC's annual Earth Day Fair took place April 14 in the college’s Craig F. Goess Student Center multipurpose room. (PHOTO GALLERY)
• PCC Police Officer Tyrone Turnage was promoted from sergeant to captain last month, during a ceremony in the PCC Police Department. (PHOTO GALLERY)
• Administrators and trustees met with several state legislators on campus April 1 to give them an update on the college's most recent accomplishments and goals. (PHOTO GALLERY)
• PCC students enjoyed time away from the classroom last month during Spring Fling. (PHOTO GALLERY)
• Students shared their thoughts on the legalization of marijuana in North Carolina as they competed against one another in the college’s annual public speaking contest. (READ STORY)
• The college launched a new Instagram account this fall. You can sign up to follow it https://instagram.com/pittcc/.
• The PCC Alumni Association is providing an avenue for people in the community to honor friends and family members by purchasing a custom brick in the patio and gardens that surround the college’s new clock tower. (More Information Available)
• We are proud of our current students and graduates and love sharing their stories of success. If you are a PCC student or alum and have a success story you would like to share, please email Rob Goldberg, PCC communications director, so we can be sure to include you on our "Creating Success" web page.
Upcoming Events ...
• May 6 - ASL Idol
• May 10 - Graduation
• May 10 - Summer Semester Payment Deadline
• May 10-19 - Student Break
• May 11 - GED/AHS Commencement
• May 11-18 - Faculty Break
• May 17 - Cosmetology Open House
• May 19 - Walk-In Registration
• May 20 - Summer Semester Begins
• May 28-30 - Campus Closed (Memorial Day)
• Be sure to watch "PCC Outreach with Ernis Lee" Mondays at 8:30 p.m. on Cable Channel 23.
Four Bulldogs Earn Praise for Play in 2016
WINTERVILLE—Following a 28-16 season that ended Saturday with a loss to USC-Sumter in the Region X Conference Tournament, four Pitt Community College softball players have earned Region X Conference recognition for their play in 2016.
Hayes Moss, Taylor Niemotka and Peyton Taylor were named All-Region X Conference First Team. Moss, a sophomore, earned the honor as an outfielder, Niemotka as catcher, and Taylor for her infield play.
Volleyball Adds Eight Newcomers for 2016
WINTERVILLE—As spring semester is about to come to a close, Pitt Community College Volleyball Coach Katelynn J. Speas has secured the future of her program by signing eight players to join the Bulldogs for the 2016 campaign.
PCC Volleyball held a signing day ceremony April 20 in the Ed and Joan Warren Building to welcome its newest signees.
"I am beyond excited for these ladies to join our volleyball program," Speas said. "I recruit players by attitude, character and passion for the game.