CIT Hosts National Signing Day Event
'Accelerating the Future' Is March 18
|After a successful inaugural event in 2015, the Pitt Community College Foundation will hold a second Accelerate the Future fundraiser this month.|
Connect NC Bond Would Benefit PCC
March 2016 Edition Quick Hitters ...
• Each month, President G. Dennis Massey provides a "College Update" with the latest PCC highlights.
• A pair of PCC Respiratory Therapy students were among the six recipients of the North Carolina Association of Respiratory Educators’ Tom Morris Scholarships last month. (MORE INFORMATION AVAILABLE)
• The college's Arts and Sciences Division recently hosted Fulbright Senior Research Fellow Eddy Nurtjahya for presentations on tin mining reclamation efforts in his home country of Indonesia. (MORE INFORMATION AVAILABLE)
• Students who took GED testing at PCC may be eligible for a high school equivalency diploma, after the GED Testing Service revised the test’s passing scores. (MORE INFORMATION AVAILABLE)
• Bruiser's Crew is now accepting mentor applications! Fall 2016 students who are interested in becoming mentors to first-year students are encouraged to apply. Those selected will receive $1,000-scholarships ($500 per semester) for their duties and responsibilities as mentors. (MORE INFORMATION AVAILABLE)
• The PCC Registrar’s Office recently announced that the college now offers electronic delivery of official student transcripts. (MORE INFORMATION AVAILABLE)
• The PCC Symphony Orchestra will present its winter concert, “A Taste of Vienna”, March 1 in Winterville’s Reimage Church. (MORE INFORMATION AVAILABLE)
• PCC students volunteered their time to make Valentine's Day cards for the elderly last month. The students then delivered the cards to residents of the Golden LivingCenter assisted living facility in Greenville the following day.
• The college launched a new Instagram account this fall. You can sign up to follow it HERE.
• The PCC Alumni Association is providing an avenue for people in the community to honor friends and family members by purchasing a custom brick in the patio and gardens that surround the college’s new clock tower. (MORE INFORMATION AVAILABLE)
• We are proud of our current students and graduates and love sharing their stories of success. If you are a PCC student or alum and have a success story you would like to share, please email Rob Goldberg, PCC communications director, so we can be sure to include you on our "Creating Success" web page.
Upcoming Events ...
• March 1 - Parenting Seminar
• March 1 - Orchestra Winter Concert
• March 2 - Women's History Month Celebration
• March 3 - Parenting Seminar
• March 6-13 - Faculty/Student Spring Break
• March 11-13 - No Weekend College
• March 15 - Priority Deadline for Summer '16 Financial Aid
• March 18 - Accelerating the Future Fundraiser
• March 18 - Community Fine Art Exhibition
• March 23 - ECU RN-BSN Workshop
• March 25-27 - PCC Closed (Easter)
• Be sure to watch "PCC Outreach with Ernis Lee" Mondays at 8:30 p.m. on Cable Channel 23.
Softball on a Roll Having Won Nine Straight
The PCC softball team is sitting at 9-1 on the season, after reeling off nine straight wins following a season-opening loss to N.C. Central University.
Coach Junior Bailey’s Bulldogs bounced back from a 3-0 loss to the Aggies in the first game of a Feb. 17 doubleheader to beat NCCU in game two, 5-4. Since then, Pitt has outscored its opponents 86-17.
PCC swept a home-and-home series from Southeastern Community College April 20 and April 26 and took four more from Harford Community College over the weekend.
The Bulldogs will be on the road throughout March before returning home to host Region X rival Spartanburg Methodist College April 2-3.
Baseball Sits at 5-3 with Lenoir up Next
Eight games into this season the PCC baseball team finds itself at 5-3 overall heading into a home matchup with Lenoir Community College March 2.
The Bulldogs started the season by going 3-1 in a tournament hosted by Florence-Darlington Technical College, beating Cecil College, Potomac State of WVU and Brunswick Community College. The loss came to Catawba Valley Community College.
Coach Tommy Eason’s club then split a home-and-home series with Brunswick Feb. 27-28.
Wednesday’s game against the Lancers will take place at Minges-Overton Baseball Complex. First pitch is set for 3 p.m.
PCC Basketball Makes Region X Semifinals
After beating Virginia's Bryant & Stratton College Feb. 28, the PCC basketball team finds itself in the quarterfinals of the 2016 Region X Conference Championship.
Pitt, led by Coach Darrick Mullins, topped the Bobcats, 73-66, to set up a semifinal matchup with Louisburg College Friday at 12 p.m. The game will take place at Sandhills Community College in Pinehurst.
PCC is 20-9 overall, after finishing the regular season with a 19-9 mark.
Upcoming PCC Athletic Events ...
• March 2 - Baseball vs. Lenoir Community College
• March 4 - Basketball at TBA (Region X Tournament)
• March 5 - Baseball vs. Wake Tech (DH)
• March 25 - Baseball vs. Louisburg College (DH)
• March 26 - Baseball vs. Louisburg College (DH)