Find PCC on Facebook and join the 4,856 fans already receiving our latest news, photos, videos, events and announcements!
AGE Instructor Is Putting the 'Community' in Pitt Community College
|When fall semester classes began Aug. 15, it’s a safe bet that instructor Don King started the process of building a ‘community’ among the students he teaches.|
PCC Again a National Leader in Awarding Associate Degrees to African-Americans
Ennis, Jarvis Earn SECU Scholarships
September 2014 Edition Quick Hitters ...
• Each month, President G. Dennis Massey provides a "College Update" with the latest PCC highlights.
• Check out the September 2014 edition of PCC Insight for a look at the college's global education initiatives and the Horizons program's efforts to support students in obtaining Adult High School Diplomas and moving on to higher education.
• President Massey was featured on Pitt County's Pitt County Review television show in August. (VIDEO)
• The start of a new academic year brought several changes to the Board of Trustees, including the addition of Farmville resident Randy Walters. (READ STORY)
• The PCC Foundation will hold the 2nd Annual Drivin' for Dreams Golf Ball Drop this month to raise money for student scholarships and educational activities at the college. (READ STORY)
• The Hilton Greenville honored PCC in August as part of its new "Company of the Month" program. (READ STORY)
• WNCT recently ran a story on the potential early college for Pitt County that would be hosted by PCC. (WNCT REPORT)
• More than 500 employees met for convocation Aug. 13 to reflect upon the previous academic year and prepare the one that began two days later with the start of fall classes. (READ STORY)
• By meeting and/or exceeding academic benchmarks established by the N.C. Community College System, PCC received $557,390 in Perkins funding for the 2014-15 academic year. (READ STORY)
• PCC's Arwen Parris, Olivia Sutton and Katelynn James took the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge on campus Aug. 29 to raise awareness of Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and generate donations for research to cure the disease. (PHOTO GALLERY) (FACEBOOK VIDEO)
• Watch PCC science instructor Tammy Atchison take the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. (VIDEO)
• Area public safety personnel received special training at the PCC Greenville Center last month that will help them assist individuals experiencing mental health challenges or crises. (READ STORY)
• Pitt held a reception in the Craig F. Goess Student Center Aug. 26 to welcome international students to campus. (PHOTO GALLERY)
• The college will offer a free webinar Sept. 10 for individuals considering changing careers. (READ STORY)
• A WNCT report last month examined PCC's efforts to retain students and improve completion rates. (VIDEO)
• PCC students and alumni had a chance to meet with area employers Aug. 28 during a Part-Time Job Fair on campus. (PHOTO GALLERY)
• Work is progressing on Phase II of the Goess Student Center. (PHOTO)
• WNCT-TV highlighted a CNNMoney report showing how student loan debt can be docked from social security checks. PCC's Joanne Ceres weighed in on smart borrowing practices. (WNCT REPORT)
• The list of graduates and Honor Roll and Dean's List students for the 2014 Spring Semester have been published and are available in the 'News Central' section of the PCC website.
• Every Tuesday, PCC employees and students are encouraged to show their school spirit by wearing their PCC royal blue. We call it "Turn It Blue Tuesday." (FACEBOOK PHOTO GALLERY)
• We are proud of our current students and graduates and love sharing their stories of success. If you are a PCC student or alum and have a success story you would like to share, please email Rob Goldberg, PCC communications director, so we can be sure to include you on our "Creating Success" web page.
Upcoming Events ...
• Sept. 9 - Clubs and Subs
• Sept. 9 - Foreign Language Workshop Series
• Sept. 10 - Career Change Webinar (Free)
• Sept. 12 - 2nd Annual Forklift Rodeo
• Sept. 13 - East Carolina Film Festival
• Sept. 16 - PCC Foundation Golf Ball Drop
• Sept. 18 - PCC Foundation Fall Golf Classic
• Sept. 18 - 'Man Jamz'
• Sept. 19 - Latino Day Open House
• Sept. 25 - Foreign Language Workshop Series
• Sept. 29 - ECU Transfer Admissions Information Session
• Sept. 30 - Next Level "Expressions"
• Be sure to watch "PCC Outreach with Ernis Lee" Mondays at 8:30 p.m. on Cable Channel 23.
Volleyball Loses 4 Straight to Start Season
LUMBERTON—The PCC volleyball team got off to a shaky start in 2014, dropping four straight games in a tournament hosted by UNC-Pembroke last month.
The Bulldogs opened the season Aug. 29 with a 3-0 (25-17, 25-18 and 25-16) loss to Alabama's Gadsden State Community College. Later in the day, Pitt dropped its match with St. Johns River State College out of Florida by a 25-15, 25-23 and 26-24 count.
PCC fell prey to another Florida team, Gulf Coast State College, the following day. The Commodores won game one by a 25-10 count before taking game two, 25-14, and the final frame, 25-11, for the victory.
The Bulldogs did manage to claim the first two frames of their matchup with Potomac State College of West Virginia University but couldn't pull off the victory. After winning games one and two (25-16 and 25-16), Pitt dropped the next three to the Catamounts, 26-24, 25-13 and 25-12, to go 0-4 on the season.
PCC will look for its first win of 2014 Sept. 4 at Surry Community College.
Athletics Quick Hitters
• Sept. 10 - Volleyball vs. Lenoir Community College
• Sept. 12 - Volleyball vs. Brunswick Community College
• Sept. 16 - Volleyball vs. Louisburg College
• Sept. 20 - Softball vs. St. Augustine's (at Bethel Field of Dreams)
• Sept. 27 - Softball vs. Averett University (at Walnut Creek Softball Complex)
• Sept. 27 - Softball vs. St. Andrews (at Walnut Creek Softball Complex)
• Oct. 4 - Volleyball vs. Cape Fear Community College