Find PCC on Facebook and join the 3,969 fans already receiving our latest news, photos, videos, events and announcements!
PCC Working to Improve Student Retention
|After months of planning, PCC is preparing to pilot a program this summer aimed at improving student retention through increased personal contact.|
No Shortage of Smiles at Graduation '13
|Members of PCC's Class of 2013 turned their tassels May 13, during a ceremony in East Carolina University's Minges Coliseum. (PHOTO GALLERY)|
2013 Pinning Ceremony Far from Ordinary
|This year's nurse pinning ceremony featured a Duke football player pinning a PCC student who helped save his life (left) and the pinning of a diabetic alert dog (right).|
June 2013 Edition Quick Hitters ...
• Each month, President G. Dennis Massey provides a "College Update" with the latest college news. Click HERE for Dr. Massey's June 2013 update.
• The English as a Second Language Program celebrated the various cultures of its students May 2 with an International Day program. (PHOTO GALLERY)
• The VISIONS Career Development and Scholarship Program celebrated the upcoming graduations of its high school seniors last month. (READ STORY)
• An idea first suggested in 2011 finally came to fruition this spring, when Student Government Association officers unveiled a brand new bulldog sculpture on campus. (READ STORY)
• Jessica Whitfield, a PCC university transfer student, was announced last month as the winner of the college’s first-ever student poetry contest. (READ STORY)
• A new report by the Century Foundation shows a growing divide between community colleges and public universities, leaving the most disadvantaged students at risk. (WNCT REPORT)
• The N.C. State Board of Refrigeration Examiners announced in May that it awarded scholarships to HVAC/R students Christopher Cobb and Cody Tyndall. (READ STORY)
• Local leaders gathered at the college May 22 as Pitt County joined Wayne County as the only two North Carolina communities to have earned Certified WorkReady Community status. (READ STORY)
• Nursing students Jennifer Curlee, Rebecca Haislip and Erin Markowski received the Pitt Golden K Kiwanis/Clifton E. Boyd Nursing Scholarship May 8. (READ STORY)
• Three PCC welding students topped their peers from community colleges throughout North Carolina and Virginia last month to claim first place in the 13th Annual American Welding Society Carolina-Virginia Welding Competition. (READ STORY)
• Morgan Printers recently won a PICA Award for the PCC annual report titled "2012 Report to the Community - Progress and Innovation." (DAILY REFLECTOR ARTICLE)
• It’s not too late for youngsters to sign up for the 2013 Explore! Program. (READ STORY)
• The TRiO program honored student participants April 26 with an awards ceremony in the Craig F. Goess Student Center. (READ STORY)
• After a successful spring semester, drama instructor Lee Armstrong says 18 students from the “Acting for the Camera” course he recently finished teaching can officially refer to themselves as “working actors.” (READ STORY)
• PCC is accepting applications for this summer’s AWARE Camp programs, which organizers hope will spark interest among young girls in careers dealing with science, technology, engineering and math. (READ STORY)
• WNCT was on hand for the college's GED graduation ceremony May 16. (WNCT REPORT)
• The TRiO Educational Opportunity Center in Farmville held an "Employment and Hiring Workshop" in the H.B. Suggs Community Center April 30. (FACEBOOK PHOTO GALLERY)
• Marquis Cox, who took general education courses at PCC this spring, recently made it to the Showcase Showdown on "The Price Is Right." (WNCT REPORT)
• We are proud of our current students and graduates and love sharing their stories of success. If you are a PCC student or alum and have a success story you would like to share, please email Rob Goldberg, PCC communications director, so we can be sure to include you on our "Creating Success" web page.
Upcoming Events ...
• June 10-14 - Basketball Camp
• June 13-26 - Division Orientations
• June 15 - Baseball Open Tryout
• July 4 - Independence Day (Campus Closed)
• July 8-12 - AWARE Camp 1
• July 15-19 - AWARE Camp 2
• July 25 - Summer Splash
• Be sure to watch "PCC Outreach with Ernis Lee" Mondays at 8:30 p.m. on Cable Channel 23.
Softball Comes Up Short in National Tourney
The PCC softball program came up short in its bid for a national championship last month, falling to Butler Community College (Kan.), 13-1, in round one of the tournament before being eliminated the next day with a 4-0 loss to Santa Fe College (Fla.).
With the two tournament losses, PCC finished the 2013 campaign with a 28-15 overall record.
This year's trip to St. George, Utah, was the softball program's third national championship appearance in four years.
June 2013 Athletics Quick Hitters ...
• The 17th Annual Winners Unlimited Youth Basketball Camp presented by Hightower, Inc., will take place in the college's Charles Coburn Center June 10-14. (READ STORY)
• PCC Baseball will hold a tryout for unsigned high school seniors at Minges-Overton Baseball Park on June 15. (READ STORY)