Find PCC on Facebook and join the more than 3,130 fans already receiving our latest news, photos, videos, events and announcements!
New System Speeds Financial Aid Process
WINTERVILLE—A new automated system for handling applications has significantly improved the financial aid process at Pitt Community College.
According to PCC Financial Aid Services Director Lisa Reichstein, the college implemented a new automated packaging system for financial aid awards in February. As a result, she said, 3,074 students have been notified they are eligible for financial aid during the 2012-13 academic year, compared to 1,028 at the same point a year ago.
PCC Contingent Studies Abroad in Belize
A group of PCC students, faculty and staff traveled to Central America in May as part of a study abroad program in the coastal nation of Belize.
Nine students, along with English instructor Tabitha Miller and International Programs and Services Coordinator Andre Gregory, explored the Belizean countryside from May 6-19 to learn about the nation’s cultures and traditions. Through lectures provided by faculty from the University of Belize that were coordinated by the Institute for Sustainable International Studies, the group also gained insight into the Maya and Garifuna people.
According to Miller, the PCC contingent stayed at Midas Resort in San Ignacio for most of the trip and took tours of the Belize Botanical Gardens, Blue Hole, the Maya Women’s Co-op in San Antonio, and the ancient Xunantunich and Cahal Pech Mayan ruins.
Garris Is First Oakley Scholarship Recipient
The PCC Foundation announced last month that Ayden’s Brandon Garris had been selected as the first-ever recipient of the Timothy Oakley Scholarship.
Brandon, who is the son of Ayden’s Tammy and Jerry Garris, is a 2012 graduate of Ayden-Grifton High School. He plans to enroll in PCC’s University Transfer program this fall and eventually complete fire/rescue academy training to become a firefighter and emergency medical technician.
“I just like helping people,” says the 17-year-old Garris, who has been a volunteer with the Ayden Fire Department since July 2011.
Forestry Students Ship First Pulpwood Load
A little more than two months after hearing from ‘Swamp Logger’ Bobby Goodson on the first day of class, students in PCC's new Forestry Equipment Operator course shipped out their first load of pulpwood.
Doug Duncan, executive director of the N.C. Association of Professional Loggers, Inc., said the 25.7-ton-payload left from Steely Tract in Windsor on June 25 and headed to Plymouth’s Domtar paper mill.
Last fall, PCC received a $50,000-grant from the N.C. Rural Economic Development Center to standardize a curriculum for individuals seeking employment in the logging industry. The funding was made possible through the N.C. General Assembly to help create jobs and assist projects in 51 counties.
July 2012 Edition Quick Hitters ...
• Each month, President G. Dennis Massey provides a "College Update" with the latest college news. Click HERE for Dr. Massey's July 2012 update.
• The SACS Communication Committee published the first edition of "SACS Facts" last month to provide employees and PCC supporters with the latest details on the school's bid for reaccrediation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
• Students in the PCC VISIONS Career Development and Scholarship Program toured campus last month and interacted with instructors from each of the college’s five academic divisions as part of the annual VISIONS Summer Institute. (PHOTO GALLERY)
• Student Development Services held numerous orientation sessions in June to introduce new students to the college. The sessions also provided newcomers with a chance to meet with academic advisors and sign up for fall courses. (PHOTO GALLERY)
• Joseph Warner, a native of Syracuse, N.Y., was notified this spring that he had been awarded a $1,000-Community College STEM Scholarship through the North Carolina Space Grant program. (READ ARTICLE)
• PCC's Basic Skills Program received approval of an $8,204-grant last month to begin a distance learning program for a select group of English as a Second Language (ESL) students. (READ ARTICLE)
• Multimedia Specialist Kieran Finney posted a video from this year's graduation ceremony on the college's YouTube Channel. (VIEW VIDEO)
• New PCC Student Ambassadors met at the Greenville Hilton June 13 in preparation for the 2012-13 academic year. For more information on this year's group, check out their profiles on the PCC website.
• PCC student Jessie Christine Smith finished as second runner-up in the 2012 Miss North Carolina Pageant last month.
• Continuing Education is now accepting registrations for the 2012 “Explore!” program (previously known as Kids’ College). (READ MORE)
Upcoming Events ...
• July 16 - Payment Due for Fall 2012 Classes
• July 19 - New Student Orientation
• Aug. 13 - Convocation
• Aug. 15 - First Day of Fall 2012 Semester Classes
• Sept. 18-20 - COC Review Team Visit
• Be sure to watch "PCC Outreach with Ernis Lee" Mondays at 8:30 p.m. on Cable Channel 23.
Gold Glove Award Arrives ... Two Years Later
WINTERVILLE—Two years after former Pitt Community College first baseman Trey Holmes was named one of nine NJCAA Division I Rawlings Gold Glove Award recipients, the trophy commemorating his prestigious honor finally arrived. Coach Tommy Eason presented the Salisbury native with his award last month.
After helping lead PCC to the 2010 NJCAA Division I World Series, Holmes was named an NJCAA Division I Second Team All-American, Region X Conference Player of the Year, and the Region X Conference’s Defensive Player of the Year. He also earned the Rawlings Gold Glove Award for recording 360 putouts and 12 assists with zero errors in 54 games for the Bulldogs.
July Athletics Quick Hitters ...
• PCC Softball Coach Junior Bailey conducted a softball camp at A.G. Cox Middle School June 18-20 for girls between the ages of seven and 14. (PHOTO GALLERY)
• More than 50 children took part in the 16th Annual Winners Unlimited Youth Basketball Camp led by PCC Basketball Coach Darrick Mullins. (PHOTO GALLERY)
Upcoming Athletic Events ...
• Aug. 20 - Volleyball Scrimmage vs. N.C. Wesleyan
• Aug. 29 - Volleyball vs. Louisburg College