Experience PCC Academics Continuing Education Distance Learning Faculty & Staff Contact
Apply Now Click Here
Back to:
Continuing Education

Frequently Asked Questions

Important websites:
Nursing Assistant I -(DHSR): www.ncnar.org
Nursing Assistant II -(NC BON): www.ncbon.com
Pearson-Vue: www.pearsonvue.com


  1. You cannot register for our Nursing Assistant I, Nursing Assistant II, or Phlebotomy Programs until we have received a copy of all the required Prerequisites for your program. NO EXCEPTIONS.
  2. We do not file the originals of your prerequisites. We file copies. *When we make copies of your prerequisites at the time you are registering for a Health Care Class, we expect you the student to keep up with your originals and to place your originals in a safe place, so that you may locate them later easily for future use.


How old must I be to take a course at PCC Con Ed?

You must be at least 16 years old.
(Note: If you are less than 18 years old you will require parental consent as well as School consent).

Do I need to already have completed my High School Equivalency or have my High School Diploma to register?

Yes. No exceptions.

Do I need any immunizations?

Yes, immunizations are required for:
     > Nursing Assistant I
     > Nursing Assistant II
     > Phlebotomy (Phlebotomy also requires that the Hepatitis B Series be started to
        enter this program)

How do I get my Record of Immunizations?

     > From your doctor or the Health Department
     > From your High School or College Records
     > Or you may have titers drawn at your MD office, at the Pitt County Health
        Department, or at the Health Department in your county

Where do I find the information on the cost of Health Care classes?

The costs of all our Health Care classes are listed under the description of each class we offer on our main Health Care Web page. You may also click on the title of the class which will direct you to this information.

Where is the class schedule, and location of all the Health Care classes located?

Click on the title of any class on our main Health Care Web page and you will be directed to the most up up-to-date schedule and class location.

Who must take the BLS Provider Course?

BLS Provider is a requirement of:
     > Nursing Assistant I
     > Nursing Assistant II
     > Phlebotomy Students

Note: Students may check the BLS Class Schedule when registering for the above classes or locate it on the Health Care web page.

BLS must be completed prior to attending Clinical rotation for the above classes.

If a student has already taken BLS they must bring a copy of their current unexpired BLS card.


When will I receive my BLS-HCP card after completing the class?

Your Instructor will pass out cards during class or your clinical instructor will during clinical approximately 2 weeks after BLS has been completed.

If you are NOT taking a class at PCC please come by the Health Care Programs Office and pick up your BLS card. (You may first want to call to ensure that the cards are in.) Often a student will report that their card was never received when mailed.

If you need your card mailed give Ms. Glenda Cannon a self-addressed and stamped envelope with your current, correct address.

If you lose your BLS card, we do not replace the lost card. BLS cards cost $3.00 each so please keep your card in a file and also make a copy for your personal records.

Who needs to take the Placement test?

    > Nursing Assistant I Students
     > Nursing Assistant II Students
     EKG-12 Lead Monitor Technician
     > Medication Aide Students
     > Phlebotomy Students

Student must take the Math and Reading Placement testing as a prerequisite to their class.

To be exempt, the student may submit proof of a passing grade in College Level Math, English, or Reading or submit proof of a 2-year Associates degree or 4-year degree in any curriculum.

What are Malpractice, Accidental insurance, Tech. Fees and Lab fees?

The malpractice insurance is presently $16.00/year. Malpractice Insurance must be bought by any student entering a program in which a Clinical experience is part of the program.

These include:
     > Nursing Assistant I
     > Nursing Assistant II
     > Phlebotomy

The year runs from September 1 through August 31.
Example: If an NA I student takes the NA I class in the fall, then takes the NA II class in the spring, then they are covered in their NA II Class; however if a student takes the NA I class in the summer, then takes the NA II class in the fall, they would be required to pay for malpractice insurance again.

Accidental insurance of $1.25, a Technology fee of $5.00, and a variable lab fee per course is paid.

Each semester this is subject to change.

What are the prerequisites for the Nursing Assistant I, Nursing Assistant II, Phlebotomy, and Nursing Assistant I Refresher programs?

We have a Nursing Assistant I, Nursing Assistant II, and Phlebotomy packet. The packets contain all the requirements of these 3 courses and should be picked up at the Health Care Division, Continuing Education at 3107 S. Memorial Blvd. (Side door by church). You will also find them online by clicking on the course name. *Note: Usually students have a lot of questions about the prerequisites so we encourage the student to come in person to get a clear understanding.

There is a cut-off date each semester to get applications/prerequisites back to us.

WE DO NOT accept incomplete (partial) packets. Everything required for the program must be turned in completed when the student registers. No Exceptions.

Nursing Assistant I Refresher: To take the Nursing Assistant I Refresher program the student must have been certified as a Nursing Assistant I in the last 48 months (4 years) in N.C. Upon applying for this program, we will go to DHSR (Division Health Service Regulation) website and verify the date that your Nursing Assistant certification expired. The student may check themselves, and/or bring us a copy by going to: www.ncnar.org). This class requires a High School diploma or a High School Equivalency.

Home Companion Aide Class does not require a High School diploma.
This program has no prerequisites and does not require a high school diploma/high school equivalency.

How do I become a Nursing Assistant I in NC if I was certified in another state?

Certified Nursing Assistants certified in other states must be competency tested through ***NACES/Pearson Vue to be listed on the NC State Registry.

Students are encouraged to take the Nursing Assistant I Refresher course (48 hours), however, taking the full Nursing Assistant I Program is a better choice if the desired outcome is passing the Competency Testing on your first try. Competency Testing is $92.00.

Another option is choosing E4 (Challenging the competency testing by Pearson Vue/NACES).

Due to the complete overhaul of the Nursing Assistant I program by the state in 2007, and the ever-changing status of the Nursing Assistant I Program, this may be an unwise choice for some students.

What are the Uniform/Supplies requirements of the Nursing Assistant Programs?

Please visit the Nursing Assistant I and Nursing Assistant II Uniform and supply list.

What do you learn in the Nursing Assistant I and The Nursing Assistant II Programs?

This information can be located under the Nursing Assistant I and Nursing Assistant II titles at the beginning of the Health Care Web page.

When are Nursing Assistant I and Nursing Assistant II classes offered?

We offer the Nursing Assistant I Program in the morning, afternoon, and evening each semester and occasionally we offer a Saturday program. We offer the Nursing Assistant II Program in the morning each semester and offer it every other semester in either in the afternoon or evening. We occasionally offer a Saturday. Check the schedule each semester by clicking on the main title of the class at the beginning of the Health Care Web page.

What are the requirements to take the Medication Aide Course?

We require a copy of your driver's license or a picture ID, Social Security Card, and a copy of your High School diploma or High School Equivalency.

Please note: After taking the NC Medication Aide Program, if you desire employment as a Medication Aide in a (Skilled) Long-term Care Facility, you must be certified and listed on the NC Division of Health Service Regulation, Raleigh, NC as a certified Nursing Assistant I.

How do I become certified as a Medication Aide after completing the program?

After completing the Medication Aide Program, you will given an application for Exam Testing through ***Pearson Vue in the classroom by your instructor.
You will be required to submit:

  1. Your completed application.
  2. Your payment of $50.00.
    (note: payment must be in the form of a money order, certified check, or a company check if your company paid for your course).
  3. A copy of your signed Social Security Card, a photo I.D., and your training completion certificate.

***To Contact Pearson Vue for more information on the Nursing Assistant I Program, or the Medication Aide Program please call: 1-888-204-6207 or check their website at: (www.pearsonvue.com)