Experience PCC Academics Continuing Education Distance Learning Faculty & Staff Contact
Apply Now Click Here
Back to:

Types of Aid


You may be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), NC Community College Grant, or State Student Incentive Grant. These guides are available in the office of Student Financial Aid. The NC Community College Grant and the State Student Incentive Grants are for NC Residents. Students may apply by completing the FAFSA. For more information about these grants, read the US Department of Education's Student Guide. For more information about these programs, contact the Financial Aid Office at (252) 493-7339 or come by the Financial Aid Office in the Goess Student Center Building Room #100.


The largest source of scholarships at Pitt Community College are institutional merit scholarships. Institutional merit scholarships are generally awarded based on stated criteria such as a high grade point average or high school class ranking. Other institutional scholarships are awarded based on affiliation with a certain group like a sorority or fraternity, interest in a specific subject area like math or science, etc. Need-based scholarships and grants are awarded based upon a student's financial need. Some scholarships are awarded based on both merit and financial need.

Take a look at the complete list of PCC Scholarships in the PCC Catalog, our Financial Aid scholarship listings web page, and the PCC Foundation's Scholarships web page for more information. 

Private foundations, civic organizations, and others provide additional scholarships. In our experience, most students receive these outside scholarships from organizations within their home community. For this reason, we encourage you to check with your high school, local civic organizations and religious institutions to see what scholarships are available, or you may search the WEB.

Federal Work Study Employment

Work Study Job Description Form

Federal Work Study is a federally supported employment program through which students are offered jobs to help meet college expenses. Eligibility is contingent on Financial Need that is determined by the U.S. Department of Education.

Work Study offers education and job experience. In a more competitive job market, employers seek applicants who have employment and academic experience. Work Study jobs may also provide:

Work Study participants can work with staff members on campus performing a variety of jobs or may work off campus with an approved community service organization providing tutoring services for the America Reads and Counts program. Jobs and hours are flexible.

Pay is determined by the position in which the student is hired. The majority of our Work Study students are paid $7.25 per hour. Students may work no more than 20 hours per week and must be enrolled at least six credit hours per term. If you drop below six credit hours, you must stop working that day. Students must have unmet need to qualify for work study. Time sheets are due the last day of each month. Pay checks are direct deposited to the student's bank account the last day of the next month. Work Study students cannot work when they are scheduled for class. In order to work in the summer, you must be approved for financial aid for the next fall term and be enrolled at least six credit hours.

Vacant Work Study positions are posted on the web at the Work Study Job Opportunities page. Students are free to interview for and secure the job of their choice from those listed. Students should view the work study video "Never Sell Yourself Short" before they interview for a position. The video is available at the circulation desk at the PCC Library, the Joblink Center, the Counselor office in the Warren Building or the Reddrick Building Computer Lab. Please sign the attendance sheet at the area in which you view the video. Work Study jobs are not assigned. The decision on hiring and setting work hours will be determined by the hiring supervisor. Once a student has been selected to be hired for a vacant position they must submit a variety of documents and forms to the Financial Aid Office before beginning employment.

Pitt Community College has more students who qualify for Work Study than there is funding. As a result, the college cannot guarantee a job or total earnings awarded.


Pitt Community College participates in the Federal Stafford Direct Loan program, offering subsidized, unsubsidized, and Parent Plus loans. You must request a loan from PCC. The PCC Financial Aid Office will not automatically award a loan to you. You may apply for a Federal Stafford loan AFTER the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) has been completed and your financial aid application has been reviewed and accepted.

Note: Students must be enrolled at least six (6) credit hours each semester to apply for and receive a Stafford and/or Parent PLUS loan

Previous PCC Borrowers

You must reapply for a student loan each academic year. Students who have previously borrowed at PCC must complete a Direct Loan Request Form, also available in the Financial Aid office. The FAFSA must be completed, all follow-up paperwork submitted, and your filed cleared BEFORE we can certify your loan. If your previous loans were not in the Federal Direct Loan Program, you MUST complete a new Master Promissory Note (MPN) before your loan will be processed. Complete your eMPN on-line at: www.studentloans.gov.

1st Time PCC Borrowers

Effective January 1, 2012, all 1st time PCC borrowers must attend a mandatory one-hour workshop before you can apply for a loan. Workshops are offered several times throughout each month. Before you can register for a workshop, your FAFSA processing must be complete and all follow-up paperwork submitted to PCC. You will receive assistance in completing the loan request form during the workshop. A photo ID is required for entrance to the meeting. Please click here to sign up for the workshop.

You must also complete Online Entrance Counseling and electronically sign a Master Promissory Note (eMPN) before your funds are disbursed. You may complete these steps before or after attending our mandatory workshop.

Fill out your eMPN online at www.studentloans.gov.

Complete your Entrance Loan Counseling at studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan.

Parent Loans

Parent PLUS loans are for the parents of our dependent students. After the FAFSA has been completed and all follow-up paperwork has been submitted, parents can print and complete the Parent PLUS Loan Request Form and return it to the Financial Aid office. Parents must also complete an electronic Master Promissory Note. Fill out your eMPN online at www.studentloans.gov.

Graduating or Leaving PCC?

All students who receive a student loan at PCC MUST complete Direct Loan Exit Counseling when they drop below half-time, leave the college due to withdrawal or graduate. 

Links to Information


Back to Top